I intend this blog to be a mixture of my personal experiences with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and news related to MS. Hopefully, I can shed an optimistic light on MS even though it is difficult to be an optimist living with MS.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Everyone!  I hope 2012 brings great things!  Hopefully, 2012 will bring the MS community more exciting research, new therapies for ALL types of MS, and leaps closer to a cure.  

In the new year, I resolve to be more active.  My husband and I signed up for a membership with the YMCA.  We had a membership before, but during the time when I was experiencing my first symptoms but before my diagnosis, it became difficult to workout because of the numbness and tingling.  We ended that membership during the fall of 2010, around the time I was diagnosed.  Since then, our "workouts" have mostly consisted of walks around the neighborhood.  Since I have been feeling well for the past year (with a few minor flare-ups in the interim), we decided it was time to get back on the proverbial horse.  I bought a "fitness" swimsuit and plan to do pool workouts to try to avoid heat-induced flare-ups.  Since we signed up a week ago, we have already gone to the Y three times.  I have not started the pool work yet, but plan to this week.  Our NMSS local chapter has a wellness theme this year and in keeping with that, my goal is to get/stay fit and healthy. 

What is your resolution?

In news, researchers have confirmed a link between MS and a gene linked to vitamin D deficiency.  To read more, click here.  I knew that I was smart to be taking vitamin D supplements.  I had my levels checked and was low - I definitely believe that there is a critical link between vitamin D and MS - this research seems to confirm that!

No comments:

Post a Comment