I intend this blog to be a mixture of my personal experiences with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and news related to MS. Hopefully, I can shed an optimistic light on MS even though it is difficult to be an optimist living with MS.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Update on Me & MS Awareness Week

It has been awhile since I have posted anything about how I am doing (the "my experiences with MS" portion of the blog).  So, I thought I would post a quick update.

Overall, I have been feeling pretty good lately (which is, in large part, why I haven't posted about my condition).  I am still experiencing some numbness in my toes/feet, but I barely notice it (so I am either used to it or it is very slight).  I have been trying to be better about working out and utilizing our unfinished basement for this.  Monday, I did a few exercises and ended up feeling very tingly, but the sensation subsided once I had cooled down.  Also, the L'Hermittes flared up during/after the "workout," but I did not notice any symptoms at all on Tuesday. 

I mentioned earlier that I played volleyball for the first time since my diagnosis a couple Sundays ago and it went well overall.  I did notice some worsened symptoms toward the end, but I think I was able to stay cool enough that it didn't get bad.  Yesterday, I played volleyball a second time and cannot say that I noticed any "flare-ups" at all during or after playing!!!  I am going to start playing regularly on a league in town and am hopeful that I can continue to play without experiencing any significant symptoms.

My husband and I tried out the Yoga for MS dvd the other weekend and, although I was sore the next day, I am not a huge fan of yoga.  I don't really get into the "spiritual," meditation aspect and I don't really understand all of the breathing techniques.  I know many people really like yoga and most people say great things about it, but it just isn't my style. 

I took tonight off, but plan to do some sort of exercise 4 to 5 times per week.  I was pretty sore after my "workout" on Monday and realized that I am, apparently, VERY out of shape!  So I will continue exercising in the basement and trying to do yoga. 

So that is the news with me - mostly good stuff going on.  Can't complain too much! 


On another note, next week (March 14 - 20) is MS Awareness Week and the National MS Society is currently promoting its MS = campaign.  Check it out and consider participating in the campaign to spread awareness.  Use your social media outlets, such as facebook and twitter, to tell people what MS means to you.

3 comments:

  1. Stumbled on to your blog through the MS Walk page on Facebook. I am 34 and have been living with MS for almost 10 years now...I can tell you there is so much to be optomisitc about, living with MS! You have the opportunity to reinvent yourself. I can already see that you've chosen not to be a victim of your diagnosis, and that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and thank you for your own optimistic outlook! It is inspiring to know others living with MS, who have remained optimistic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please never forget MS does not own or define you! Stay active, stay positive. Thank you
    E

    ReplyDelete