I intend this blog to be a mixture of my personal experiences with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and news related to MS. Hopefully, I can shed an optimistic light on MS even though it is difficult to be an optimist living with MS.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Heat Shmeat!

This is my "the heat isn't going to get to me" post! 

Last summer, I couldn't play on my work's co-ed softball team because I was in the early stages of the disease.  I had not been diagnosed and we were only speculating as to what was causing my numbness and tingling.  Since the symptoms were mostly in my legs and feet, there was talk about the symptoms being caused by a pinched nerve.  When the doctor thinks you may have a pinched nerve, they tell you to avoid activities such as softball and the like.  So, due to my symptoms and not knowing what was wrong with me, I was unable to partake in the softball festivities.  I did, however, go to games to support the team.

Fast forward to this summer - our first work softball game was this week and in close to 100 degree heat, I went out and played!  Even better, I did not experience any numbness or tingling all evening!  It was very exciting!

As most of you probably know, I have been playing volleyball for the past few months and have not had any problems with that, but the volleyball has been played indoors in air-conditioned buildings.  In the past, I have noticed symptoms most regularly when my core temperature goes up.  So, I was a little worried about how the heat would affect me on the softball field.  I am proud to report no problems and I am hopeful that the rest of the season will go over as well as the first game!

2 comments:

  1. What a motivating and uplifting post! I am so glad to hear that you got to play and are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!
    I have grown up in the heat (FL, Texas, Vegas) and am now in San Diego - the coldest place I have ever lived (really). I find that it isn't the heat that affects me so much as it is the cold -when I go north for Christmas for instance. I rationalize it by saying it is the changes to what our body is most used to that causes stress & therefore symptoms.

    If it is the stress, and if you were used to the heat before, you may fare better than you think this summer

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete