I intend this blog to be a mixture of my personal experiences with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and news related to MS. Hopefully, I can shed an optimistic light on MS even though it is difficult to be an optimist living with MS.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Disappointing

Last night, I listened in on The Latest Updates in MS teleconference.  It was a little disappointing because I really didn't learn anything about any of the latest updates in MS.  The speaker mostly just glossed over everything, giving the names of the up and coming therapies, but little to nothing more.  Plus, anything additional that was said about any new therapies, I had already learned from the teleconference on Monday.  What I did take away from last night's teleconference was presented by Michael (an MS patient) who is active in the fight against MS (he has a facebook support group, "My MS Team," and a twitter following, @mymsteam).  He discussed his own experiences and one of the main things he talked about is the importance of exercise.  While discussing this topic, he mentioned how much Yoga has helped him both physically and emotionally (I have heard similar testimonials from others regarding yoga for MS patients).  He also provided a website, "You Can Do It Yoga for MS," which has information regarding Yoga for MS.  Michael talked about how MS affects your flexibility and balance, which yoga can help you maintain.  Also, yoga has a spiritual or emotional aspect that can be helpful for MS patients since depression often plagues those with MS.  This, I felt, was helpful information.  I haven't been great about exercising lately and I really need to start up a yoga routine!  Another website that I came across a few month ago is My MS Yoga; they offer a free Yoga for MS DVD. 

Now that I have listened to both teleconferences regarding up and coming therapies and things to look forward to regarding MS treatment, I have much research to do and will report back to you all soon!  Hope everyone has a great President's Day weekend!  If you are in the Wichita area, you should stop by the Women's Fair - I will be working the Walk MS booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment